History

Our History

This clinic first opened its doors to patients on January 2nd 1950. There have been 4 owners since then: Dr Robert Demmery (1950-1970s), Dr. Donald Hunter (1980s), Dr. Robin Simpson (1989-2006), and Dr. Kevin Mowbray (2006-Present). After spending almost 74 years in the same location, we have outgrown our space and will be expanding into 450 East Broadway, on the Southwest Corner with Guelph Street.

Mr. Bob Butler deserves as much of a mention here as anyone, as he had been with the clinic from January 2nd 1950 until 2020 – his career literally spanned 7 decades.

Bob is truly someone who enjoys his craft and has been an expert teacher to all of our Optical and Dispensary Team Members over the years. 

Dr. Mowbray has currently stopped seeing patients in order to focus on managing our move and expansion into 450 East Broadway. You may still catch him at times fixing things around the clinic, organizing his displays, and chatting with staff and patients.

Once the clinic is up and running in our new space, projected to be sometime in October 2023, he will be announcing a new partner in the clinic – stay tuned!

Mortimer The Spirit Bear

In The Summer Of 2006, The BC Lions Society For Children With Disabilities Had Undertaken A “Spirit Bears In The City” Art Initiative, With 106 Spirit Bear Statues Spread Throughout Vancouver, The Lower Mainland, And Vancouver Island.

Each 7 foot high bear was assigned to a local artist, who in sponsorship or partnership with a local business or organization, produced their own artistic take on the bear. Our Bear ‘Mortimer’ pictured here was won at auction, one of a series that went on to raise more than $1M for the BC Lions Society for Children with Disabilities in 2006. Over the years the has also brought us the Orcas, the Bears, the Eagles, and the Terracotta Warriors under their ‘Art in the City’ fundraising program. You can find a nice gallery of 50 of the 106 Bears photographed here: FIFTY BEARS.